A new Watson Wyatt survey found that 52% of employers have made layoffs (up from 39% two months earlier), but the percentage of companies planning layoffs fell from 23% to 13%.
More than half (56%) still have hiring freezes in effect.
“They are now focusing on smaller, more sustainable cost-cutting actions,” the report says.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Minor adjustments: Complying with federal teen labor rules
- Previous pregnancy troubles are no reason to refuse hiring, rehiring
- Turn Gen Y's 'unreasonable' requests into a negotiating tool
- Hire the best: 5 questions to spot strong soft skills