1. The EEOC released a swine flu alert last month warning employers against:
a. Discriminating against Mexicans or people who have been to Mexico.
b. Asking disability-related questions and requiring medical exams at first stage of hiring
2. Eight years ago, 38% of executives said they checked in with work (either electronically or via phone) at least once a day while on vacation. What’s the percentage in 2009?
a. 61% b. 71% c. 91%
3. About 1 in 5 Americans today has a disability, and the number is expected to increase as baby boomers age. What are the top three causes of disability (in order):
a. Arthritis, back problems, heart trouble
b. Heart trouble, back problems, cancer
c. Back problems, cancer, arthritis
4. Only 10% of U.S. workers say that in 2009 they plan to:
a. Ask for a raise
b. Take a full two-week vacation
c. Take a loan from their 401(k)
5. Fifteen years ago, retaliation claims accounted for 17% of all job discrimination claims filed with the EEOC. What’s the percentage today?
a. 14% b. 25% c. 34%
6. Percentage of hiring managers who say a job candidate has used profanity during an interview:
a. 21% b. 43% c. 76%
Sources: 1. EEOC; 2. Creative Group survey; 3. Centers for Disease Control; 4. Expedia.com survey; 5. EEOC; 6. Vault.com survey.
Answers: 1. c 2. a 3. a 4. b 5. c 6. b
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Attorney's letter? Proceed with plans, but back up decision
- Keep medical data private, even if new HIPAA rules don't apply
- Violence puts Six Flags on the defensive over youth hiring
- When handing out discipline, make punishment fit the crime