You need a clear policy on handling employees who call in sick. That helps ensure you don’t miss a potentialrequest.
Remember, employees don’t have to ask forby name. They just need to give you enough information to trigger your responsibility to ask for more details.
Recent case: Cynthia Deluca worked for Simmons Manufacturing as a seamstress. She took one FMLA leave related to a job injury. Shortly after she returned, she called in again, explaining that her doctor said she needed to be off.
HR sent her an, but fired her two days later, before she had a chance to fill out the form. She sued.
The court said the company interfered with Deluca’s right to FMLA leave. It should have waited for the form before concluding whether she was eligible. (Deluca v. Simmons, No. 3:07-CV-2143, MD PA, 2009)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Employee is returning from Nigeria: Can we request she stay out of the office for 21 days?
- Use chemicals? Heed new training, labeling rules
- Study multiple reviews to identify best HR tech products
- Apply good judgment to legal considerations