It’s sad enough when an employee becomes seriously ill. What makes it tougher is that work doesn’t stop. Deadlines remain, customers need service and paperwork piles up. Mistakes can mean not only hurt feelings but also potential legal liability problems. Here are four ways supervisors and HR can handle such situations with tact and legal skill.
- Say no to accommodations if 'disability' barely scratches the surface of credibility
- Suspect FMLA mischief? Use certification rights before taking drastic action
- Retail bosses needn't be present to win executive exemption
- Casual question about bias isn't protected activity
- Trying case in court of public opinion can backfire