Under Oscar Mayer's collective bargaining agreement (CBA), paid sick leave doesn't start until at least the fourth day of absence. But Wisconsin's labor department says that under the state's, the company has to allow workers to substitute paid leave starting with day one, and a court upheld that regulation. (Kraft Foods Inc. v Wis. Dept. of Workforce Development, No. 00-1918, Wis. CA, 2001)
- Am I permitted to communicate directly with employees' medical professionals?
- Can we terminate a no-call/no-show employee?
- When it comes to firing offenses, be sure you can show you treated everyone equally
- You can alter job description for worker on FMLA leave
- What to do when attendance, morale collide