Q. We employ the unwed parents of a newborn child. They have requested
A. Generally speaking, two employee parents of a child may be limited to a total of 12 weeks of FMLA leave by their same employer. However, this limitation is based on the parents being married to each other.
The 12-week combined limitation on leave to care for a healthy newborn child after birth does not apply to unmarried parents who are both employed by the same company. Each parent is eligible for a separate FMLA leave.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- State may trump your CBA on family leave.
- When employee has used up FMLA leave, consider additional time off under the ADA
- The 6 Kinds of Terminations ... And 6 Corresponding Ways to Avoid Being Sued
- Always remind employees of their FMLA rights