Q. We employ the unwed parents of a newborn child. They have requested
A. Generally speaking, two employee parents of a child may be limited to a total of 12 weeks of FMLA leave by their same employer. However, this limitation is based on the parents being married to each other.
The 12-week combined limitation on leave to care for a healthy newborn child after birth does not apply to unmarried parents who are both employed by the same company. Each parent is eligible for a separate FMLA leave.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- ADA alert: Managers and supervisors can't force workers to disclose illnesses
- You're justified in firing employee you reasonably believe committed 'Leave fraud'
- Leave in Las Vegas: Does vacation with dying mom count as FMLA time?
- FMLA: Need certification or is a doctor's note OK?