Q. We employ the unwed parents of a newborn child. They have requested
A. Generally speaking, two employee parents of a child may be limited to a total of 12 weeks of FMLA leave by their same employer. However, this limitation is based on the parents being married to each other.
The 12-week combined limitation on leave to care for a healthy newborn child after birth does not apply to unmarried parents who are both employed by the same company. Each parent is eligible for a separate FMLA leave.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Political activity in the workplace: Can you discipline employees?
- Can individual employees be liable for FMLA violations? 4th Circuit may decide
- Checklist: 9 Steps to Sniffing Out Suspicious FMLA Requests
- Managers and HR may be personally liable for CEPA mistakes