Q. We employ the unwed parents of a newborn child. They have requested
A. Generally speaking, two employee parents of a child may be limited to a total of 12 weeks of FMLA leave by their same employer. However, this limitation is based on the parents being married to each other.
The 12-week combined limitation on leave to care for a healthy newborn child after birth does not apply to unmarried parents who are both employed by the same company. Each parent is eligible for a separate FMLA leave.
- Salary deduction for part-Week absence doesn't always destroy exemption
- Workers' comp law: How to keep costs, compliance in check
- Check the medical documentation: FMLA doesn't automatically apply to ER visits
- Changes Coming to the FMLA: The Top 10 Hits ... and Misses
- Verifying FMLA leave for chronic conditions