Q. We employ the unwed parents of a newborn child. They have requested
A. Generally speaking, two employee parents of a child may be limited to a total of 12 weeks of FMLA leave by their same employer. However, this limitation is based on the parents being married to each other.
The 12-week combined limitation on leave to care for a healthy newborn child after birth does not apply to unmarried parents who are both employed by the same company. Each parent is eligible for a separate FMLA leave.
- When the writing is on the wall: Court finds employee justified in believing she was fired
- FMLA entitles you to request proof worker's parent has serious health condition
- 15 years after enactment, FMLA changing with the times
- Thwart FMLA abuse with periodic calls, check-ins
- Compulsory call-Out doesn't automatically mean paid wait time