Q. We employ the unwed parents of a newborn child. They have requested
A. Generally speaking, two employee parents of a child may be limited to a total of 12 weeks of FMLA leave by their same employer. However, this limitation is based on the parents being married to each other.
The 12-week combined limitation on leave to care for a healthy newborn child after birth does not apply to unmarried parents who are both employed by the same company. Each parent is eligible for a separate FMLA leave.
- Don't expect employees on FMLA leave to stay in bed
- How should we count FMLA leave when both parents work for the same company?
- Employers sue over tapping unemployment fund for family leave
- Is FMLA available for weight surgery? Kidney donations?
- No need to reinstate if disability leave extends past FMLA