Employers that made the 2009 Companies That Care Honor Roll are going green.
Organizers of the 37-member Honor Roll, which recognizes organizations for their attention to the well-being of their employees and their communities, point to a growing trend among applicants toward benefits, policies and activities that shrink their environmental footprint.
Some of them encourage their employees to do the same. Examples:
- A Mid-Atlantic “green team” of AAA employees installed bike racks at call center locations, added recycling areas and distributed tips for green practices at home.
- Consulting firm Grant Thornton launched an employee “green committee” that sends green tips in an e-mail newsletter and stopped stocking employee kitchens with paper and plastic foam cups.
- Enterprise Fleet reduced the number of handouts at its annual partners meeting and printed the rest on recycled paper. Employees handed out refillable water containers instead of bottled water.
- Grand View Hospital in Sellersville, Pa., gave each employee two recyclable grocery bags—one insulated—so they can forgo paper and plastic at the store.
- Umpqua Bank in Roseburg, Ore., pays 100% of any employee’s mass-transit fees.
- InterfaceFLOR in LaGrange, Ga., matches employee donations to nonprofit American Forests, which planted trees to offset the carbon dioxide emissions created by the organization’s commuters.
Contact: Cynthia Cobb, Companies That Care, at (847) 548-4548.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/9177/honor-roll-companies-adopt-eco-friendly-policies "