by Bruce Tulgan
The two biggest comp and benefits myths about Generation Y employees—your youngest workers—are that they don’t care about money … and that they care only about money.
In fact, these young employees are savvy about the going rate for entry-level people with their skills. So there’s a good chance that the ones you are interviewing know what their bottom line is for basic pay and benefits.
They want more than that. In fact, they want way more.
Here’s where you start nodding your head because you’ve dealt with barely-out-of-college employees who have made what seemed like unreasonable demands for last-minute flexibility, extra time off and their choice of projects and teammates.
My advice: Quit laughing.
Use those demands as a negotiating tool, and watch the productivity of these young, tech-savvy go-getters soar in response.
Some choice words
Gen Y has been brought up with choices. Their paren...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Creating drug-free workplace: How to draft a policy, conduct legal tests
- Prevent 'Survivor syndrome': Avoid turnover after layoffs
- Are you a wartime general?
- Double-check employee ID records! No-match letters are back