Q. We have terminated an employee who has moved out of state and requested we mail his last check to him. Do we have to mail it? If so, when?
A. In New York, a terminated employee must be paid his or her final wages by the next normal pay date for the pay period in which the employee is terminated. It must be mailed to the employee if so requested.
- Firing Offense: When is 'Shoot the Boss' Comment Not Considered a 'Threat'?
- Unionized? You may be able to use progressive discipline to address some forms of harassment
- Tiger Drives Home a Lesson: Be Careful with Voice Mails
- How long would Ray Rice have lasted in your firm?
- Rework your severance plan: More prospective employees seeking this safety net