Q. We have terminated an employee who has moved out of state and requested we mail his last check to him. Do we have to mail it? If so, when?
A. In New York, a terminated employee must be paid his or her final wages by the next normal pay date for the pay period in which the employee is terminated. It must be mailed to the employee if so requested.
- How to guarantee a lawsuit: Fire good employee right after she asks for FMLA leave
- Firing a boss who's racially insensitive? You can cite 'poor performance' as reason
- Discharging employee after FMLA leave expires may be retaliation
- Retiring instead of facing discipline doesn't constitute constructive discharge
- Don't trip over wiretap laws