Q. We have terminated an employee who has moved out of state and requested we mail his last check to him. Do we have to mail it? If so, when?
A. In New York, a terminated employee must be paid his or her final wages by the next normal pay date for the pay period in which the employee is terminated. It must be mailed to the employee if so requested.
- Track HR decisions to show discipline wasn't harassment
- Don't punish staff for off-site political comments, but at work, it's your call
- Before firing, make sure employee hasn't made any recent safety complaints
- Must we explain our reason for firing?
- Vice president says he was fired for passing the CEO's joint