Q. We have terminated an employee who has moved out of state and requested we mail his last check to him. Do we have to mail it? If so, when?
A. In New York, a terminated employee must be paid his or her final wages by the next normal pay date for the pay period in which the employee is terminated. It must be mailed to the employee if so requested.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Warn bosses: Do nothing that discourages FMLA leave or punishes those who take it
- SOX doesn't protect safety whistle-blowers
- When employee complains about discrimination, be alert for signs bosses are retaliating
- 'Tuesday Massacre' victim comes out with both barrels blazing