Q. We have terminated an employee who has moved out of state and requested we mail his last check to him. Do we have to mail it? If so, when?
A. In New York, a terminated employee must be paid his or her final wages by the next normal pay date for the pay period in which the employee is terminated. It must be mailed to the employee if so requested.
- Is employee being set up to fail? Beware boss's criticism of 'soft' skills
- 211,000 reasons to make age-blind employment decisions: Employee can sue for mental anguish
- Worker wants transfer? Show she requested it
- Lawsuit-proof firing: Those who hire should also fire
- Discovered unsuspected wrongdoing? Fire away!