Q. We have terminated an employee who has moved out of state and requested we mail his last check to him. Do we have to mail it? If so, when?
A. In New York, a terminated employee must be paid his or her final wages by the next normal pay date for the pay period in which the employee is terminated. It must be mailed to the employee if so requested.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Employees can't claim retaliation if they're not FMLA-eligible
- Wasted at work? You don't have to tolerate it!
- HR's uneven response to graffiti and swastikas: 'Close' counts in horseshoes ... not harassment
- Warn bosses: Never describe job as 'permanent'