Q. We have terminated an employee who has moved out of state and requested we mail his last check to him. Do we have to mail it? If so, when?
A. In New York, a terminated employee must be paid his or her final wages by the next normal pay date for the pay period in which the employee is terminated. It must be mailed to the employee if so requested.
- Give employee time to weigh severance offer
- Before you decide to fire, make sure past job evaluations support your rationale
- Firing employee? Require the presence of at least 2 managers during discharge meeting
- Failing to pay workers on time may cost you a big penalty
- The 'Scarlet M': State uses shame, fines to fight misclassification