Q. We have terminated an employee who has moved out of state and requested we mail his last check to him. Do we have to mail it? If so, when?
A. In New York, a terminated employee must be paid his or her final wages by the next normal pay date for the pay period in which the employee is terminated. It must be mailed to the employee if so requested.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Downsized Work Force, Supersized Liability: The Legal Risks of Layoffs
- Don't get even: The rules, risks of post-employment retaliation
- Green light to discipline managers who doctor time cards
- School boards have wide latitude to terminate teachers for financial reasons