Don't rest if a discrimination suit against you doesn't claim retaliation from the outset. The employee can usually add it later, if the retaliation is related to the initial complaint. A judge set aside Nancy Clockedile's $129,000 award for retaliation in a sexual harassment case because retaliation wasn't part of her original complaint. The 1st Circuit reinstated it. (Clockedile v. New Hampshire Department of Corrections, Nos. 00-1541 and 00-1578, 1st Cir., 2001)
- Quest for 'new blood' could bleed bank account if it results in huge punitive damages award
- Vanguard Group settles race discrimination suit
- Can we demand certification of violent employee's alleged mental illness?
- Follow 3 rules of pre-hire medical tests: Timing, privacy, job descriptions
- ADA accommodation may not be possible, but explore the options