HR pros have two important items to add to their to-do lists this week:
- Ensure that this week’s reflects more generous federal income tax withholding levels mandated by the economic stimulus law enacted in February.
- Start using the new Form I-9 on Friday, April 3.
New withholding tables
The Making Work Pay tax credit is the tax-reduction centerpiece of the stimulus package, officially known as the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA).
The law provides tax breaks that vary depending on workers’ income and tax filing status. Generally, single taxpayers will get an additional $400 per year in the 2009 and 2010 tax years. Married couples that file jointly will get $800 per year.
Unlike past stimulus initiatives, in which the government sent checks to taxpayers, the ARRA provides more take-home pay by reducing the amount of federal income tax withheld from paychecks.
Employe...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Granting reasonable accommodation isn't enough--you must make sure it actually happens
- Independent contractors may charge harassment under NJLAD
- Don't fear that settling a lawsuit will affect later case
- Base bilingual hiring decisions on language skill, not ethnicity