The value of health insurance isn’t counted as income on paychecks. But that could change under an increasingly popular proposal being pushed hard by the key tax-writer on Capitol Hill, Sen. Max Baucus (D-Mont.), chairman of the Senate Finance Committee.
Removing the “employer exclusion” would help pay for President Obama’s plan to expand coverage to 46 million uninsured Americans.
Outlook: less than 25% chance. Congress rejected the idea two years ago, and Obama opposed it in his campaign. But the White House hasn’t closed the door yet.
- What will you decide: keep or drop employee health benefits?
- Win the 'war' of independence
- HR technology: Shortcuts to find the best vendors, products
- Personnel records: What to store, when to shred ... and 7 laws you must comply with
- Could he sue us? Employee was fired after he injured himself on the job