What should I do? My boss wants to make a change that goes against existing policy

by on
in Employment Law,HR Management,Human Resources

Q. I’m the HR director, and our discipline policy is very complicated and has several categories of offenses. It says that if employees commit offenses that may result in suspensions of more than three days, employees are allowed a pre-disciplinary counseling conference. My boss thinks we should skip that conference if the employee has already been counseled for a prior offense within the past 12 months. I’m concerned that this deviates from our policy. Can we do this?

A. Change the policy. Presumably, your policy or employee handbook (if it contains the policy) states that the company may modify its policies at any time. You can change the policy prospectively. You should communicate the change to employees the way you would normally inform them of policy changes.

Leave a Comment