Two production companies for Will Ferrell’s movie Stranger than Fiction will pay a rejected job applicant who was pregnant $75,000 to compensate her for discrimination.
Cynthia Castillo-Hill had applied for a job as an extras casting assistant. But the production companies, Crick Pictures LLC and Mandate Pictures LLC, yelled “cut” when they learned she was pregnant.
E-mails produced during discovery showed company officials were worried she wouldn’t be up to the job’s demands because of her pregnancy.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Discrimination-Free environment required, perfection a bonus
- Comp and benefits to the fore in retaining great staff
- There's getting hurt … then there's the fear of getting hurt
- Do you work smart?