What makes the Internet useful is also what makes it so undeniably distracting: There’s no end to what you can find online. Luckily, a few browser add-ons that work with Firefox can help make web surfers more productive (all available at addons.mozilla.org):
1. E-mail Discipline: Blocks you from spending too much time on personal e-mail and social-networking sites like Facebook. You’ll need to do productive work for two hours between “play” sessions. (You can always hit the “cheat” button to bypass the add-on’s rules.)
Don't let your career fall behind the technology curve! 77 Technology Tips to Boost Office Productivity
2. ReminderFox: Puts a to-do list, with deadlines, on the side of your browser. You can set up reminders to pop up, as well.
3. Procrastato: An experimental Firefox add-on, this one works off a blacklist of sites that you deem “time wasters.” If you visit one of the sites, it starts a timer in the background. After your allotted time, a pop-up message tells you to get back to work.
4. MeeTimer: Simply keeps tabs on how long you spend on each site, then breaks it up into percentages, so you can see where the bulk of your time goes.
Implementing even just a few of these techniques can ease your work flow and free up your day — so your career can fast-forward to a more rewarding stage. 77 Technology Tips to Boost Office Productivity
5. LeechBlock: Lets you set up blocks of sites, then identifies which blocks you may or may not use at what times of the day. Think of it as similar to the parental settings you have on your TV.
— Adapted from “PC knows best: Tools to nag, remind, and track productivity,” Josh Lowensohn, CNET.
In today’s fast-paced, downsized economy, we’re all asked to do more with less. Office technology can help. But who’s got the time (let alone the money) to learn a bunch of new programs?
Fortunately, there is an answer: advancing your skills on the programs you already use every day.
Keep this technology time-savers manual by your desk for quick reference all day long. Our plain-English tips will give you the time-saving advice you need, including:
- Squeezing maximum value from Outlook’s Calendar feature
- Keeping network-clogging spyware off your computer
- Useful tips for taming the e-mail inbox monster
- 4 Word techniques that will have you designing like an artist
- 16 online tools (many of them FREE) to send your productivity skyrocketing
- Tips for faster, more precise Google searches
- 4 things you never DREAMED that Excel could do – but it can!
- Cell phone services that are fancy, fun and FREE
- And much, much more!
- Fire employee who has filed complaint … if you're prepared to address retaliation
- Contractor or employee? IRS launches audit blitz
- How losing 100 pounds sent one employee over the edge (and other wellness best practices)
- Courts frown on bosses blaming subordinates for shortcomings
- You could be personally liable for injuries under N.C. workers' comp law