A Chicago dentist has agreed to pay $462,500 to settle a harassment and retaliation complaint filed by 18 employees. The complaint alleges employees were subjected to sexual harassment and required to join the Church of Scientology as a condition of employment.
As the situation decayed and employees filed complaints, the dentist fired them.
As part of the settlement, all sexual harassment or religious discrimination complaints must be referred to an outside representative. The dentist may not condition continued employment on sexual favors or religious membership in the Scientology church. He must provide sexual harassment and religious discrimination training to employees. Finally, the dentist must get a check-up from the EEOC every six months to keep his employees smiling.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Can we administer personality tests without running afoul of the ADA?
- Retaliation: Don't retaliate against witnesses
- Times are changing: HR heads to Vegas to LEAP ahead
- Stop harassment suits before they start! Follow up with employees after every complaint