Three companies headquartered in Florida have made the 2009 Fortune magazine “100 Best Companies to Work For” list: Publix Super Markets, headquartered in Lakeland; Baptist Health South, of Coral Gables; and JM Family Enterprises, based in Deerfield Beach.
Six other companies with a large Florida presence also made the list. They are American Express, the Mayo Clinic, Navy Federal Credit Union, Paychex, PCL Construction and PricewaterhouseCoopers.
What makes those firms great employers? JM Family Enterprises’ from a trust fund set up by the company’s founder, which pays for . Employees said American Express is a great place to work because employees get a chance for overseas assignments. At PCL Construction, employees own the company—many employees brought home profits greater than their paychecks last year.
Why it matters: Employers recruiting out-of-state talent sometimes have to fight the impression that Florida is a state in decline. Try pointing out what a misconception that is by mentioning that several Florida employers made the Fortune list.
- Performance reviews: Revamp outdated once-a-year drill
- DOJ: Corpus Christi's police tests biased against women
- 2009 is 'year of employee benefits'; more in the pipeline for 2010
- Cutting health insurance costs by declining to cover contraception
- Will Maryland court ruling stop 'Wal-Mart health care' laws in other states?