Three companies headquartered in Florida have made the 2009 Fortune magazine “100 Best Companies to Work For” list: Publix Super Markets, headquartered in Lakeland; Baptist Health South, of Coral Gables; and JM Family Enterprises, based in Deerfield Beach.
Six other companies with a large Florida presence also made the list. They are American Express, the Mayo Clinic, Navy Federal Credit Union, Paychex, PCL Construction and PricewaterhouseCoopers.
What makes those firms great employers? JM Family Enterprises’ from a trust fund set up by the company’s founder, which pays for . Employees said American Express is a great place to work because employees get a chance for overseas assignments. At PCL Construction, employees own the company—many employees brought home profits greater than their paychecks last year.
Why it matters: Employers recruiting out-of-state talent sometimes have to fight the impression that Florida is a state in decline. Try pointing out what a misconception that is by mentioning that several Florida employers made the Fortune list.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- How to comply with DOT's new workplace drug-testing regulations
- Same manager who hired should do the firing
- Hazy excuses from the drug-screening trenches
- If a resigning employee gives two weeks' notice, can we tell him not to bother coming in anymore?