The Ohio Department of Transportation’s equal employment opportunity contracts coordinator, responsible for making sure agency vendors comply with state and federal anti-discrimination laws, has been punished for sending racist and sexist messages through the agency’s e-mail system.
Robert Habern is running out of strikes. He was recently suspended for 10 days without pay after he admitted sending e-mail jokes about men kissing and women’s genitalia, as well as a racial joke and caricature of President Obama. This followed an earlier oral reprimand for sending an e-mail suggesting preferential hiring for women with large breasts. His first offense occurred back in 2004, when he was suspended for 20 days without pay for viewing explicit sex sites online.
Department of Transportation officials told The Associated Press that Habern has been warned that a fourth strike may mean dismissal.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Protect against retaliation suits by conducting independent and 'blind' internal investigations
- Perhaps councilman will next be kissing seat goodbye
- DeWeese's 'Tuesday massacre' has Democrats cringing
- New bill would ban job bias based on unemployment status