The Ohio Department of Transportation’s equal employment opportunity contracts coordinator, responsible for making sure agency vendors comply with state and federal anti-discrimination laws, has been punished for sending racist and sexist messages through the agency’s e-mail system.
Robert Habern is running out of strikes. He was recently suspended for 10 days without pay after he admitted sending e-mail jokes about men kissing and women’s genitalia, as well as a racial joke and caricature of President Obama. This followed an earlier oral reprimand for sending an e-mail suggesting preferential hiring for women with large breasts. His first offense occurred back in 2004, when he was suspended for 20 days without pay for viewing explicit sex sites online.
Department of Transportation officials told The Associated Press that Habern has been warned that a fourth strike may mean dismissal.
- New bill would ban job bias based on unemployment status
- Tell supervisors: It's OK to criticize--even if employee has filed EEOC complaint
- Do you destroy hiring documents? Track process anyway
- Injury while commuting to swapped shift? That doesn't warrant workers' comp
- How to Document Employee Performance