Q. We have two offices in two different states. In one office, we have a sick leave policy in place because we have
A. Yes. An employer can have a sick leave policy in one facility and no policy at another in a different state. Even if someone could develop some argument of actionable discrimination, you have articulated legitimate business reasons for the difference, which should defeat any challenge.
Of course, if something changes and you add exempt employees to the second location, you will want to reconsider your two-policy program.
- Beware cryptic notes in your HR files--they could be used against you in a later lawsuit
- Bush to halt Clinton-era rule opening UI funds for paid leave
- Defend against being sued personally for your mistakes
- Request medical clearance for chronic condition
- What can we do? Employee may have been faking need for FMLA leave