Q. Our company allowed an employee’s health insurance to lapse because he failed to pay his share of the premium while on. The employee is scheduled to return to work in two weeks. What is the company required to do about the employee’s health insurance coverage when he returns?
A. The new finalmake it clear that, under those circumstances, the employer is required to reinstate the employee’s health insurance when he returns to work. If the insurance is not reinstated (or done so timely), the employer can be held liable for the harm suffered by the employee as a result.
- Obesity equals higher absenteeism, workers' comp costs
- A good deed punished: Voluntary FMLA leave can become a mandate
- Base FMLA eligibility on date leave begins
- Shopping for Employment Practices Liability Insurance: 6 Questions to Ask
- Attendance discipline needs care if employee qualifies for FMLA leave