Q. Our company allowed an employee’s health insurance to lapse because he failed to pay his share of the premium while on. The employee is scheduled to return to work in two weeks. What is the company required to do about the employee’s health insurance coverage when he returns?
A. The new finalmake it clear that, under those circumstances, the employer is required to reinstate the employee’s health insurance when he returns to work. If the insurance is not reinstated (or done so timely), the employer can be held liable for the harm suffered by the employee as a result.
- Can we terminate now an employee who we know can't return from FMLA leave?
- Legal considerations in eliminating sick pay benefits
- Suspect employee plays fast and loose with FMLA leave? Check medical certification
- Make 2011 the year of comp & benefits strategy
- Calculating the time-worked threshold for FMLA eligibility