Q. Our company allowed an employee’s health insurance to lapse because he failed to pay his share of the premium while on. The employee is scheduled to return to work in two weeks. What is the company required to do about the employee’s health insurance coverage when he returns?
A. The new finalmake it clear that, under those circumstances, the employer is required to reinstate the employee’s health insurance when he returns to work. If the insurance is not reinstated (or done so timely), the employer can be held liable for the harm suffered by the employee as a result.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Sued for counting FMLA against fired worker? Prove you planned to discharge anyway
- Set clear, consistent response to employees' 'I'm sick' calls
- Don't expect those on FMLA leave to 'stay home and shut the blinds'
- FMLA claims just got tougher for employers