Make sure your medical leave policy doesn't automatically terminate employees after a certain number of days. Blood Systems Inc. recently agreed to pay 23 employees a total of $650,000 after the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission argued that its policy violated the Americans with Disabilities Act. The problem: Employees were terminated after 120 days without any individual consideration of whether a leave extension would be a reasonable accommodation of their disability.
- Employees in 'unique' jobs can use broad comparisons to show pay bias
- Want a script that will land you in court every time?
- You should ban all racial slurs at work, but hold supervisors to a higher standard
- As summer heats up, so does employer liability: 5 tips for the season
- Give staff at least 15 days to obtain FMLA certification