Make sure your medical leave policy doesn't automatically terminate employees after a certain number of days. Blood Systems Inc. recently agreed to pay 23 employees a total of $650,000 after the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission argued that its policy violated the Americans with Disabilities Act. The problem: Employees were terminated after 120 days without any individual consideration of whether a leave extension would be a reasonable accommodation of their disability.
- Settlement reached in deaths at Mount Carroll grain elevator
- Even lost opportunity for overtime may be considered illegal retaliation
- Use formal application processes to ward off failure-to-hire/promote lawsuits
- Feel free to expand candidate search even if your policy favors hiring from within
- EEOC to N.C. janitorial firm: Clean up this debt!