Make sure your medical leave policy doesn't automatically terminate employees after a certain number of days. Blood Systems Inc. recently agreed to pay 23 employees a total of $650,000 after the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission argued that its policy violated the Americans with Disabilities Act. The problem: Employees were terminated after 120 days without any individual consideration of whether a leave extension would be a reasonable accommodation of their disability.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Volunteerism can benefit your bottom line
- State Parks & Rec settles gender- and gay-bias claims
- When workers' comp and disability collide: 100% disabled worker may deserve accommodation
- Sexual harassment settlement costs $462,500 for Irvine firm