Make sure your medical leave policy doesn't automatically terminate employees after a certain number of days. Blood Systems Inc. recently agreed to pay 23 employees a total of $650,000 after the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission argued that its policy violated the Americans with Disabilities Act. The problem: Employees were terminated after 120 days without any individual consideration of whether a leave extension would be a reasonable accommodation of their disability.
- OfficeMax faces EEOC suit for Sarasota retaliation
- Establish zero-tolerance policy on violence and threats--but don't count on backup from courts
- Managing today's workforce: Teenagers and sexual harassment
- Same-Sex marriage and employee benefits in Minnesota
- Can we terminate a poor performer who is currently out on FMLA leave?