Make sure your medical leave policy doesn't automatically terminate employees after a certain number of days. Blood Systems Inc. recently agreed to pay 23 employees a total of $650,000 after the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission argued that its policy violated the Americans with Disabilities Act. The problem: Employees were terminated after 120 days without any individual consideration of whether a leave extension would be a reasonable accommodation of their disability.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Stop harassment with warning, then follow up to confirm problem was really solved
- Lessons from the court: job evaluations, break-time pay
- Conducting workplace investigations: A step-by-step guide
- Problem employee both brash and unskilled? Focus on performance issues when disciplining