OSHA has fined Florida Transportation Services more than $88,000 for safety violations that killed three workers in May 2007.
James Cason, Rene Dutertre and Hayman Sooknanan suffocated after inhaling argon gas that leaked from the cargo hold of a ship berthed at Port Everglades.
OSHA fined the company $63,000 for a willful failure to train employees in hazardous gas detection. It tacked on more fines for other violations, including a lack of alarm systems and inadequate evacuation procedures.
- Make firing decisions locally so possible lawsuit can't morph into something larger
- Transfer to more demanding job doesn't add up to retaliation
- SARSEP: Keep this retirement plan going
- Can we require a release of legal claims in exchange for severance pay?
- Review anti-discrimination practices to make sure they cover contract employees, too