OSHA has fined Florida Transportation Services more than $88,000 for safety violations that killed three workers in May 2007.
James Cason, Rene Dutertre and Hayman Sooknanan suffocated after inhaling argon gas that leaked from the cargo hold of a ship berthed at Port Everglades.
OSHA fined the company $63,000 for a willful failure to train employees in hazardous gas detection. It tacked on more fines for other violations, including a lack of alarm systems and inadequate evacuation procedures.
- DOL's Trojan horse: 'We're from the DOL and We Can Help'
- Employee filed incorrect pay complaint? It's still protected
- Class action settlements fell sharply in 2013
- Accommodate religious requests; don't argue 'sincerity' of beliefs
- Honorably discharged and returning to work? Don't make vets jump through extra hoops