President Obama has put forth a significant employment and labor agenda. If he and the Democratic-controlled Congress succeed in passing proposed legislation, the next several years will see the creation of new protected classes, morerights and the re-emergence of labor unions.
Sexual orientation will be a protected class
Under current federal laws, it is not illegal to discriminate in employment on the basis of sexual orientation. Obama seeks to change this omission.
The Employment Non-Discrimination Act would add sexual orientation and gender identity to the litany of classes protected from discrimination in employment by Title VII. Sexual orientation is defined as homosexuality, heterosexuality and bisexuality. Gender identity is defined as transgenderism and other gender-related characteristics without regard to gender at birth, perceived or actual.
In the 6th Circuit, discrimination on the basis of re...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Watch out when firing for breaking unwritten rule
- How to make sure request for ADA accommodations blows up: Do nothing
- Use chemicals at work? Heed new OSHA standards
- Georgia law protects employees' right to 'Day of rest'