We all know the “basics” when it comes to computers, right?
Not necessarily. One person’s everyday shortcut may be another person’s “Cool! I didn’t know you could do that!”
Here are a few suited for efficiency-minded admins:
1. Highlight a word in any document, e-mail or web page by double-clicking it.
2. Hide all windows, revealing only what’s on the computer desktop, with one keystroke: Windows key+D in Windows, F11 on Macs (or, on recent Mac laptops, Command+F3).
3. Enlarge the text on any web page in Windows by pressing Ctrl and “+” or “-” (for bigger or smaller fonts); on the Mac, it’s the Command key and “+” or “-”.
4. Enlarge the entire web page or document by pressing the Control key as you turn the wheel on top of your mouse. On the Mac, this enlarges the entire screen image.
Speed your workday so that your career can fast-forward to a more rewarding stage. Get your copy of 59 Technology Tips for the Administrative Professional today!
5. Tap the space bar to scroll down on a web page one screen at a time. To scroll back up, add the Shift key.
6. Fill in the Name, City, State, etc. boxes on a web page by pressing the Tab key to jump from box to box, rather than clicking. Jump backward by adding the Shift key.
7. Switch from one open program to the next by pressing Alt+Tab (Windows) or Command-Tab (Mac).
8. Free up space on your hard drive by emptying the Trash or Recycle Bin. Just putting it in the bins doesn’t actually delete it.
9. Snap to a web page faster by skipping the “http://www” when typing a web address into your browser. Depending on your browser, you may not even need the “.com” at the end.
Who knew one book could change everything?
With 59 Technology Tips, you'll learn how to:
Get your copy of 59 Technology Tips now!
- Zip through email clutter with color coding, subfolders, and a freebie from Microsoft that is way faster than the standard “Find” function.
- Supercharge your computer with ingenious shortcuts for faster surfing, keeping spyware at bay and making favorite Web sites easier to find.
- Impress your boss by not emailing links to web pages. Instead, send actual screen shots – it’s faster than clicking through!
- Earn your way into executive meetings by doing the best presentations in the company — SO far ahead of old bullet-point slides!
- Make your cell phone work like a BlackBerry — with free services.
- And much more!
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- How to Write Meeting Minutes
- Tip Card: Business Management Daily's Favorite Keyboard Shortcuts
- You're not a doctor! Don't restrict pregnant employee's work unless her physician says so
- Train managers on new FMLA regulations
- Remind bosses: No reprisals for complaining
- 'Boys will be boys' won't excuse harassment