Here are the key tax-filing deadlines for 2009. Keep this tax calendar handy for reference throughout the year.
Note: If your business operates on a fiscal-year schedule for tax purposes rather than the usual calendar-year schedule, your due dates for each quarter will line up differently.
Employers. Prepare copies of W-2s for 2008, and give them to your employees by Feb. 2. If an employee agreed to receive his or her W-2 electronically, post it and notify the worker by Feb. 2.
Thursday, Jan. 1
Employers. Stop advance payments of earned income credit for any employee who did not give you a new Form W-5 for 2009.
Thursday, Jan. 15
Personal. Pay the fourth-quarter and final estimated-tax payment for the year 2008 with Form 1040-ES. You don’t have to make this payment if you file your 2008 return (Form 1040) and pay any tax due by Feb. 2, 2009.
Employers. December 2008 monthly payroll tax deposit is...(register to read more)
- NLRB, OSHA pact gives longer life to whistle-blower claims
- Taming your electronic records: Heed federal rules for email, IMs
- Can you fire over Facebook? NLRB rules posts are protected
- Discharged for moonlighting? Former employee may not be eligible for unemployment
- Mandatory employment arbitration agreements in California