Marsha Bartel was an award-winning NBC journalist working on the “Dateline NBC” television show. NBC fired her, claiming it was laying off staff. She sued, alleging NBC had fired her for complaining that the show was not adhering to NBC’s internal ethical standards. The case offers some important reminders about how to handle termination of at-will employees.
- Handle supervisor harassment with a good policy, timely investigation and independent review
- When customers practice discrimination, employer may pay
- Contract will still stick, even if employee fails to read it
- Follow up after bias complaint to make sure employee isn't experiencing retaliation
- 'Gender expression' now protected in N.J.; check dress code