A As a practical matter, there is little you can do to ensure that employees aren't using sick leave for other reasons. Many employers either require or reserve the right to request a doctor's note in the event of an absence. Your policy should list the proper uses of sick leave (e.g., for illness of employee only) and state that the misuse of leave could result in disciplinary action, including discharge. Many companies get around policing sick leave by grouping all paid leave into a single “paid time off” benefit that employees can use for illness, vacation or personal business.
- Department of Labor to study FMLA usage; may signal more upcoming regulatory changes
- Auditors get new marching orders for payroll audits
- Reporting agents: IRS offers new guidance on your responsibilities, rights
- Accommodation may mean leave plus reinstatement
- Concurrently running FMLA leave, vacation time and short-Term disability