A As a practical matter, there is little you can do to ensure that employees aren't using sick leave for other reasons. Many employers either require or reserve the right to request a doctor's note in the event of an absence. Your policy should list the proper uses of sick leave (e.g., for illness of employee only) and state that the misuse of leave could result in disciplinary action, including discharge. Many companies get around policing sick leave by grouping all paid leave into a single “paid time off” benefit that employees can use for illness, vacation or personal business.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- How to Write Meeting Minutes
- Don't cave to telecommuting request if it won't allow disabled employee to do job
- DOJ nixes sharing Form I-9 with outside vendors
- Summertime is here again! Here are your payroll procedures
- Expectant and new moms get help from co-worker 'buddies'