A As a practical matter, there is little you can do to ensure that employees aren't using sick leave for other reasons. Many employers either require or reserve the right to request a doctor's note in the event of an absence. Your policy should list the proper uses of sick leave (e.g., for illness of employee only) and state that the misuse of leave could result in disciplinary action, including discharge. Many companies get around policing sick leave by grouping all paid leave into a single “paid time off” benefit that employees can use for illness, vacation or personal business.
- Contractor or employee? New IRS audits turn up heat on worker misclassification
- Must we indefinitely retain injured employee who has been out on workers' comp?
- No unemployment comp for workers who quit to care for disabled family members
- New FMLA status: pet-abuse protection
- Don't expect employees on FMLA leave to stay in bed