Many admins see the relationship with their bosses as a true partnership. What’s the magic formula for building a strategic partnership? Unfortunately, says Lisa Olsen, an admin trainer for Office Dynamics (www.officedynamics.com), there isn’t one.
But one of the first steps is figuring out his or her work style. “Knowing how your boss ticks will help both of you avoid major meltdowns,” Olsen says.
She suggests taking this quiz about your boss’s work habits:
- What is my boss’s work style?
- When is the best time to bring up important issues?
- What are my boss’s values?
- What are my boss’s communication preferences?
- What will my boss not tolerate?
- How does my boss give feedback?
- How can I help my boss?
“If you can complete the exercise and feel confident that your boss’s work styles do not compromise your values,” Olsen says, “you are on course for success in developing a wonderful, strategic partnership.”