“I work with a constant complainer. And now, other admins have started to join in. How am I, as the team leader, supposed to put a stop to it?”
Hold a gripe session, providing a forum for negative employees to vent:
- Convene 10 to 15 people. Ask clear questions to uncover their concerns, telling them their input will be seen as positive, as long as it’s given in an effort to make things better.
- Post input on a flip chart, and ask the group to vote on items that are most troubling.
- Say nothing during the session; only pose clarifying questions.
- Invoke a 48-hour promise. Say: “I’ll be in this room 48 hours from now with a response to the issues you’ve raised.”
- In 48 hours, acknowledge their points, identify and clear up any misunderstandings, identify issues that warrant attention and use the group to search for solutions, where possible. If an issue is beyond your control, say so.