With a Democratic-controlled Congress, President-elect Barack Obama will likely push for these employment law priorities:
- Make it easier for unions to organize by allowing a simple majority of employees to choose union representation merely by signing authorization cards.
- Expand coverage to businesses with 25 or more employees, up from the current 50.
- Mandate seven days of paid sick leave per year for all employees.
- Remove dollar limits on damage awards in discrimination cases brought under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.
- Eliminate the 180-day filing deadline in federal lawsuits alleging pay discrimination.
Free report: Download a full analysis of likely employment law changes under the new administration at www.theHRSpecialist.com/Obama.