Q. We have an employee on. Can we replace her and find a different job for her when she returns?
A. You may replace your employee while she is onleave. However, if she returns at or before the end of her protected leave and is able to perform the essential functions of the job she held when the leave began, you must reinstate her to her former job or one that is equivalent in pay, benefits, seniority, duties, responsibilities and status.
Thus, it may be advisable to fill your employee’s position with a temporary worker and reinstate your employee to her previous job when she returns from FMLA leave.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- How employers can respond to increasingly stressed workers
- Bill would extend FMLA to employers of more than 25
- 'My boss is stressing me out!' That's not a disability requiring accommodation
- Jury duty: How to manage leave requests and pay issues