You don’t have to ignore a sudden and shocking deterioration in an employee’s performance and behavior. You can and should ask for a fitness-for-duty exam. Just be prepared to discuss possible accommodations if it turns out the employee is disabled.
Recent case: Marion Crews worked for Dow Chemical in the HR office and was expected to transfer to a position with Dow in Europe. However,
Crews’ supervisor observed that Crews was unable to formulate organized arguments about topics she understood, discussed improper topics during meetings, missed or failed to reschedule meeti...(register to read more)
- Blue Mondays? Thwart Attempt at 3-Day Weekends
- Retaliation alert! Beware timing when acting against worker who files EEOC complaint
- Fight harassment with 'no sex talk' policy
- When employee complains of bias or harassment, beware acting in ways that look like retaliation
- O-V-E-R-Q-U-A-L-I-F-I-E-D can spell 'lawsuit'