Need legal info on the ins and outs of hiring temps? A handbook from the National Association of Temporary Staffing Services, a nonprofit trade group, covers such legal issues as workers’ compensation, unemployment insurance, employment taxes and wage and hour issues. To order Co-Employment: Employer Liability Issues and Third Party Staffing Arrangements, call (703) 549-6287. The cost is $20 plus shipping and handling.
- Political activity in the workplace: Can you discipline employees?
- Terminations: 6 steps to ensure firing won't backfire
- How not to manage HR: Forget about formal hiring and promotions processes
- Tell bosses: Accept settlement without comment
- Government employers: Slipshod investigation can sink defense in cases involving free speech