He loves to work. That’s why he can pack three separate jobs into one high-energy life: CEO of Mackay Envelope Corp.; author of best-selling business books, such as Dig Your Well Before You’re Thirsty; and motivational speaker.
Mackay’s advice comes from experience. In 1960 when he was 26 years old, he bought a bankrupt firm and has transformed it into a $70 million company.
In this interview with Working Smart, Mackay discusses his networking skills and his belief that success comes to those who are not afraid to ask for help.
WS: You’re known for your networking skills. How do you do it?
Mackay: I have 6,500 names in my Rolodex for a reason: I identify people from whom I want to learn, then I go out and meet them.
WS: You just call them out of the blue?
Mackay: Sometimes. But I’ve also gone to a lot of conferences over the years. The good events attract some of the be...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 14 Tips on Business Etiquette
- Looking for a 'younger' worker you can 'groom'?
- Guard against retaliation claims by documenting timing of every step in the hiring process
- Employee verification: Your line-by-line guide to I-9 changes
- Employers: 'Keep Out!' Beware intruding in employee web sites