A You’re right. It’s perfectly fine to negotiate any and all job offers, regardless of your level of seriousness early on. Even if you’re sure you won’t accept the job under any circumstances, you never know what will occur in the final negotiating stage. An employer may offer you a higher-level post or make it impossible for you to say no. And every time you discuss job offers, you can practice negotiating. Employers realize that a certain number of candidates won’t accept job offers for whatever reason. That’s part of the game.
- Now hiring: Brace for today's skills mismatch
- With references, less is more
- When harassment case is on the line, be ready to prove you did everything you could to stop it
- What do we need to do before implementing a drug and alcohol testing program?
- Quiz applicants on basic skills; don't wait for a national test