Q. How can we handle an employee who routinely uses vacation and sick time on Mondays? —D.M., Ohio
A. When an employee has a pattern of abusing sick leave to create three-day weekends, require a doctor's note. If the employee fails to produce a doctor's note, start using .
Regarding vacation, you have the right to deny any request for vacation time that interferes with your operations. To avoid being hit with a discrimination charge, you must treat all employees evenhandedly when granting or denying vacation requests. One way to do this is to dole out vacation time on the basis of seniority.
- Need to contact employee out on FMLA leave? Be sure to document reason for the call
- Indiana Workers' Compensation Law
- What are the rules for obtaining notice that an employee needs FMLA leave?
- Remind employees: FMLA doesn't promise reinstatement if leave extends beyond 12 weeks
- If an employee's loved one dies, can he use FMLA leave to settle estate affairs?