Q. How can we handle an employee who routinely uses vacation and sick time on Mondays? —D.M., Ohio
A. When an employee has a pattern of abusing sick leave to create three-day weekends, require a doctor's note. If the employee fails to produce a doctor's note, start using .
Regarding vacation, you have the right to deny any request for vacation time that interferes with your operations. To avoid being hit with a discrimination charge, you must treat all employees evenhandedly when granting or denying vacation requests. One way to do this is to dole out vacation time on the basis of seniority.
- Attendance policies: Control absenteeism without breaking the law
- Career counseling: Get involved in the "money" side of things
- Track intermittent leave meticulously when you offset FMLA time with paid leave
- Does time in alcohol rehab count for FMLA leave?
- Handle with care if older employee's performance slips