Q. How can we handle an employee who routinely uses vacation and sick time on Mondays? —D.M., Ohio
A. When an employee has a pattern of abusing sick leave to create three-day weekends, require a doctor's note. If the employee fails to produce a doctor's note, start using .
Regarding vacation, you have the right to deny any request for vacation time that interferes with your operations. To avoid being hit with a discrimination charge, you must treat all employees evenhandedly when granting or denying vacation requests. One way to do this is to dole out vacation time on the basis of seniority.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Patience, good records key when employee sues
- Fire offender to decouple discrimination, employment action
- Review your FMLA policy in advance of national survey
- Check calendar when employee files lawsuit covered by employment agreement