But Kaplan knows how to manage teams and translate ideas into profits. Case in point: He built Onsale Inc., the first Web auction site, into a $500 million company in just five years. In 1999, Onsale acquired Egghead. com, an Internet retailer that sells computer software and accessories over the Web. The merged company took the Egghead name.
In all his jobs, Kaplan has excelled at rallying diverse groups to think creatively and execute their plans effectively.
WS: You’re a successful CEO and a bold entrepreneur. Those roles seem to call for different skills. How do you master them both?
Kaplan: The key is...(register to read more)
- Variable pay strategy: Teach workers to 'manage the boss'
- Incentives for health assessment get employees into wellness
- Use encouraging, fair—and honest—appraisals when coaching newly promoted employees
- Exempt or nonexempt? Analyze your staff before a court does
- Apply zero-tolerance policy on workplace violence across the board