Unless you’re a technician with specialized skills, you’re probably wasting your time posting your résumé online. In a recent survey, 40 percent of Americans who engaged in online job searching found that posting their résumé on a job board is “equivalent to sending it into a black hole.” And more than half said their online efforts “seldom or never” resulted in even one interview.
Solution: Stick to old-fashioned networking at the few companies where you truly want to work. How? Call line managers to propose informational interviews or ask for a tour of the facility. Attend conferences where you can mingle with these managers.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 14 Tips on Business Etiquette
- Complying with the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act
- Business writing: 6 tips to keep it clear
- Set clear rules for initial employment period
- Hurricane-relief tax breaks extend beyond Gulf ... possibly to you