A Don’t micromanage the length of smokers’ breaks. Instead, hold each employee accountable for a certain amount of work. Give poor monthly to those who don’t pull their weight. The smokers who take overly long breaks soon will realize they must ramp up their production or lag further behind and get increasingly negative performance reviews. Also, set up a wellness incentive program for all employees—smokers and nonsmokers alike. Smokers can receive awards for quitting and nonsmokers can earn awards for, say, exercising at a gym regularly.
- Remind managers: Comments about weight can trigger harassment complaints
- Poor performance review and improvement plan alone aren't signs of retaliation
- Job descriptions: Craft with precision to avoid bias risk
- Business Management Daily announces the winners of its Administrative Professionals Week survey
- 8 steps to becoming the manager your employees need