A: That’s one solution. Here’s another: During interviews, briefly tell the story of what your boss told this hiring manager. Say, “You should know that if you call my boss for a reference, she may threaten you!” Smile and explain that your boss behaves this way because she doesn’t want to lose you. You have a third option: Leave this boss off your reference list.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Personnel records: What to store, when to shred ... and 7 laws you must comply with
- How to handle 'No-Match' letters: New rules go into effect on Sept. 14
- O-V-E-R-Q-U-A-L-I-F-I-E-D can spell 'lawsuit'
- Succession: Keep an eye out for age diversity