Shaw left comedy for a “regular” job when he and his wife became parents. He joined Pilot in 1975, when sales totaled $2 million. Under his , sales have increased steadily to $200 million this year.
WS: You write that you never disregard physical appearance in hiring. Is that a reliable way to hire top people?
Shaw: I’m not talking about whether someone’s handsome or svelte. I want to hire and promote people who take pride in how they look. Listen, I’m not exceptionally thin. I’ve got a paunch. But I do what I can to look neat and pressed and clean. You have to have a look of success about...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Documentation key to stopping that 2nd suit!
- Employment background screening firms: How to sort the best from the rest
- Managing + leading = true leadership
- 'Secret' reviews are bad policy and may be illegal