If someone offers you an unsolicited critique of your style or technical prowess, stay calm. Signal that you’re receptive, not defensive. Encourage the speaker to continue—even if you hate to hear it.
Ask questions, then repeat the gist of the criticism to confirm you understood it.
Above all, don’t argue. Reserve judgment. By listening with an open mind, you show your eagerness to learn and grow—a sure sign of a future CEO.
- When a top-level change brings a demotion
- Look beyond employee's VA disability status to determine if he's disabled under ADA or state law
- Tide turns against employees who sue over stock-based retirement funds that lose money
- Behold GE's 5 growth-leadership traits
- Firing reasons: Make sure all statements are consistent