The lesson: Treating your people with respect and dignity is ultra-critical to retaining good employees, especially in a hot job market.
Respect also translates into productivity. Employees who said they feel “very good” about how they’re treated also said they’re more enthusiastic about their jobs than those who feel just “good” about how they’re treated.
The main reason employees don’t feel respected? It’s not outright abuse; indifference is the chief culprit.
“Management’s ‘sins’ are mainly acts of omission—what management does not do—rather than commission, such as abuse,” says survey lead author David Sirota. “Indifferent treatment, such as failing to recognize and reward employees for jobs well done, has an enormous impact on how employees feel and employers’ ability to retain them.” Here are eight ways Sirota suggests that you can show respect to employees:
1. Recognize them for their accomplishments and provide them with the freedom to use their judgment.
2. Solicit, listen to and act on their ideas.
3. Support innovation and ideas on new and better ways of doing things.
4. Provide them with helpful feedback and coaching on how to perform more effectively.
5. Value people as individuals, and give them a sense of being included.
6. Appreciate diverse perspectives, ideas and work styles.
7. Encourage them to express their ideas without fear of negative consequences.
8. Listen to employee complaints and handle them fairly.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/7792/show-your-people-you-respect-them-and-youll-cut-turnover "