Reader Christine A. Elliott of Hertz Farm
“Please answer the following grammar question for us:
Is it ‘Crop input prices have been raising rapidly’ or ‘Crop input prices have been rising rapidly’?”
Answer: You can raise something, like your hand or a child or even a price. For example, “I raise tomatoes in my yard” or “The store raised its prices again.”
But something rises, or moves upward, on its own, like hot air or the sun.
So, in the example above, the crop input prices are rising.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Investigate—And then explain decision to discipline or not
- Budget-minded ways to honor employees
- Larry Ellison finds an oracle of success
- Warn managers: No statements even remotely suggesting bias against older workers