Without missing a beat, the chairman urged Cheyfitz to fire the guy right away.
“You can either manage hard or hire smart,” the board chairman explained.
Lots of people talk about the importance of hiring well, but no one ever has explained more succinctly what happens if you don’t.
— Adapted from Thinking Inside the Box: The 12 Timeless Rules for Managing a Successful Business, Kirk Cheyfitz, Free Press.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Workplace violence: Keep staff safe the legally smart way
- Employee or independent contractor? Actual working conditions dictate classification
- Hiring independent contractor? Be prepared to document that he's not an employee
- Favoring older applicants: Is it discrimination?