Make yourself an exemplary leader
Here is an abbreviated version of five practices that lay out the leader’s path:
— Adapted from The Leadership Training Activity Book, Lois Hart and Charlotte Waisman, Amacom.
- Model the way. Do what you say you’re going to do. Discuss shared values. Measure what’s important. Do the hard things you require of others.
- Inspire a shared vision. Know your people’s values and motivations. Keep your eye on the big picture. Stay positive. Listen.
- Challenge the process. Question the status quo. Find something that needs fixing. Add adventure and challenge. Be open. Take risks. Examine every failure. Welcome all feedback.
- Enable others to act. Include and collaborate. Share information. Focus on gains, not losses. Enlarge your people’s sphere of influence. Educate.
- Encourage the heart. Celebrate successes. Catch people doing things right and tell them immediately. Make work more fun.