Only one in 10 workers looks forward to work, and most say the lack of
Here are seven ways to get across your vision, values and mission:
- Show your true colors. You can’t inspire unless you’re inspired. On an airplane, Richard Tait sketched out an idea he thought would be fun. When he got home, he talked it up and created a game company called Cranium whose headquarters is still a madhouse of joy and excitement.
- Say what you envision. Make it as vivid as you can. Early on, Bill Gates and his dad took the newly hired Steve Ballmer out to dinner. The problem, they said, was that Ballmer saw himself as a bean counter. They envisioned Microsoft as putting a computer on every desk, in every home. You can just picture that. So did he.
- Ask why customers should care. Before any pitch, negotiation or anything requiring persuasion, remember that your listeners are thinking, “What’s in it for me?” Answer that question. They shouldn’t have to guess.
- Tell a story. An organic food producer tells this one: A farmer who’d worked for a conventional grower couldn’t hug his kids when he came in from the fields because of the chemical residue on his clothes. Now, as an organic farmer, his children can hug him the minute he walks in.
- Listen. Imagine zipping up your mouth before you meet with customers and employees.
- Accentuate the positive. Gen. Colin Powell once said that optimism is a force multiplier.
- Encourage your people. Praising them for good work is life-giving, like watering plants. With honest praise, employees thrive. Without it, they dry up.
—Adapted from “The Seven Secrets of Inspiring Leaders,” Carmine Gallo, BusinessWeek.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/7589/7-ways-to-inspire-your-people "