Visionary leaders are more consistent about change. They transform their organizations into structures that, like ecosystems, adapt constantly to the environment. Here are five keys to making that adaptability a hallmark of your :
1. Manage change from the bottomup by letting people suggest new solutions to problems, new products and services and new ways to serve customers.
2. Encourage change at all levels of your organization, not only at the top.
3. Help people communicate about changes they’re making. Use meetings and high-tech tools, such as Intranet portals where departments and divisions share their innovations.
4. Provide training now, not later, so people can perform new tasks that are coming under high demand. E-learning programs on your Intranet can provide a flexible and fast alternative to costly traditional training.
5. Use metrics to track your change processes. If you can’t measure what’s changing, you can’t be sure that change is taking place.
— Adapted from “Disturbing the System,” Peter Cheese, Accenture Outlook Journal.