Famous example: When Stonewall Jackson had to retreat, he said: “We’re not retreating; we’re advancing in a different direction.” No lie. Jackson kept his troops together, stringing out his attackers as they pursued him, then turned around and assaulted the thin enemy line.
Less famous example: At a car parts manufacturer, a small group of workers griped that one new employee took too much sick leave. The worker kept receiving salary and benefits while the rest of them had to work extra hard to make quotas.
After letting the workers vent, their supervisor pointed out that the company offered them a generous health care policy, so that if any of them became ill, everybody—the company and their co-workers—would pitch in until they returned to health. She also pointed out that most companies don’t commit to taking care of their employees, especially new ones. Heads nodded and a veteran worker acknowledged that she was right.
See if you can figure out how to reframe these setback situations:
1. You have to lay off 20 percent of your team. Possible reframes: Those who remain will benefit from cross-training and expanded skills. They will carry more responsibility and become more visible to the top brass.
2. Your boss tells you to stop work on a project your people like. Possible reframes: You can look for even better projects. By giving up this project without a fuss, you gain a negotiation advantage over your boss on other matters.
3. The hierarchy has flattened, doubling the number of people reporting to you. Possible reframes: You will have far more influence in the organization. Fewer layers of will lead to better communication.You can streamline those cumbersome annual job evaluations.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/7467/reframe-setbacks-into-victories "
- Rejection letters under scrutiny: 7 do's & don'ts
- Serious illness, not just its symptoms, triggers FMLA
- Get workers back fast from FMLA leave: Run FMLA concurrently with other leave
- Beware 'injury discrimination' suits for failing to treat injured workers like other employees
- Help on Help: How to get real help for Microsoft Office