It’s a funny story, but it illustrates one of the keys to Dell’s lifelong ability to get ahead fast: To move forward faster, eliminate unnecessary steps whenever possible.
Here are two ways Dell has put this philosophy to work:
1. In the most famous example, Dell leapfrogged IBM by opting to sell computers directly to consumers instead of through bricks-and mortar retailers.
2. Dell “hires ahead” by recruiting people who cannot only perform the job that’s vacant but also the next two or three up the promotional ladder.
— Adapted from Direct from Dell: Strategies that Revolutionized an Industry, Michael Dell, Harper Business.
- Know the rules for Georgia's drug-Free workplace program
- New laws for a new year: Illinois employers face new credit check, wage payment requirements
- Razzoo's money-Making plan runs into a $1 million snag
- What's your most bizarre interview experience?
- Is your PEO ripping you off? A primer on the fine print