It’s a funny story, but it illustrates one of the keys to Dell’s lifelong ability to get ahead fast: To move forward faster, eliminate unnecessary steps whenever possible.
Here are two ways Dell has put this philosophy to work:
1. In the most famous example, Dell leapfrogged IBM by opting to sell computers directly to consumers instead of through bricks-and mortar retailers.
2. Dell “hires ahead” by recruiting people who cannot only perform the job that’s vacant but also the next two or three up the promotional ladder.
— Adapted from Direct from Dell: Strategies that Revolutionized an Industry, Michael Dell, Harper Business.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- It's a buyer's market: Hire the best candidates over those who meet minimum requirements
- To do this week: Confirm new tax withhholding, begin using new I-9s
- Ohio Fair Employment Practices Act
- Can we make this hire? Confidentiality agreement doesn't include a noncompete